About 2,000 angry youths, armed with cutlasses, axes, and other dangerous weapons went on rampage on Friday injuring 50 Muslims at the Hausa quarters in Sapele, Sapele Local Government Area of Delta State.
This came as a result of uninhibited attacks on churches and killing of Christians in the northern part of the country by the Islamic Boko Haram sect.
Two of the persons suspected to have carried out the onslaught were, however, arrested by the police in Sapele.
Following the attack, Muslims were ordered to vacate the town in their own interest since Boko Haram members had also issued ultimatum to Christians to leave the north.
Responding to the attack, Sadiq Oniyesaneyene Musa, Secretary of a Muslim Media group in Sapele said, “We are disturbed by this attack on Muslims in Sapele and the order that all Muslims in Sapele should return to the north. I am a Muslim and an Itsekiri from Delta state, where do they want me to go to, this is my homeland”.
Musa said the youths besieged Muslims in the town very close to the mosque that was bombed, last year, and injured a lot of faithful.
“We called the director of the State Security Service, SSS, Asaba and the Area Commander and they responded. The Joint Task Force, JTF, on the Niger-Delta also deployed soldiers to take care of the situation”, he said.