The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in the 19 Northern States and Abuja has also described as “worrisome,” the donation of N100m to the victims of the recent Boko Haram attacks in Kano by Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, on behalf of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). They said he should be sacked.
The SNG said the CBN governor desecrated his office and violated the laws of the land by manifesting ethnic and religious bias in the discharge of his duties.
SNG threatened to mobilise Nigerians for a protest if the government failed to sack Sanusi.
Speaking at a news conference in Abuja on Thursday, the SNG National Coordinator, Benedict Ezeagu, stated that Sanusi’s actions and utterances portrayed him as “an undisciplined politician instead of a public servant engaging in dangerous brinkmanship and taking advantage of Nigeria’s fault lines and the impunity permeating the public service.”
He said that Sanusi’s donation of money that was not appropriated by the National Assembly was “illegal, provocative, divisive and a display of clannish and ethnic bias.”
Ezeagu, who is also the Coordinator, Lawyers of Conscience, explained that the 1999 Constitution did not authorise the CBN governor to personally give out public fund.
He described the donation as an usurpation of the statutory function of the National Emergency Management Agency.
The SNG activist took Sanusi to task over his statement that the Boko Haram insurgency was caused by the 13 per cent derivation formula, describing this as reckless and a questionable justification of the sect’s activities.
Ezeagu said, “The most provocative of his (Sanusi) actions is his recent questionable diversion of a whopping N100m from the CBN as a donation to the government of his state of origin, Kano, for the victims of the Boko Haram insurgence without the necessary appropriation by the National Assembly and without authorisation from the board of CBN or the President/Federal Executive Council.
“Apart from the illegality of his action, the donation stands out today as the pinnacle of ethnic bias and sectarian favouritism considering the fact that before the Kano incident, there had been civil unrest, bombings and fatalities in Abuja, Plateau, Borno, Yobe, Niger, Adamawa, Nasarawa and Oyo states.”
The SNG accused the CBN governor of illegally donating N500m without appropriation to the University of Benin.
A board member of the CBN, Prof. Sam Olofin, had defended Sanusi’s action, saying the gesture was within the purview of the corporate social responsibility and mandate of the apex bank.
He had said that the donation was not made because Sanusi was from Kano State, but that the huge damage caused by the bomb blasts prompted the apex bank to make the donation.
Quoting from the CBN Act, he had said, “The Act in functions of management said that the governor, or in his absence, the deputy governor nominated by him shall be in charge of the day-to-day management of the bank and shall be accountable to the board for his acts and decisions.
“So, there is no single action that the governor takes to which he is not accountable to the board or does not entail clearance from the board.”
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) said:
“We have reviewed the development and its aftermath; it is worrisome and calls for concern and raises serious ethical questions on the side of the CBN Governor, who on several occasions has exhibited sheer insensitivity to the multi ethnic structure of Nigeria consequently taking actions that tend to set the country on fire,” the group said in a statement today signed by Elder Saidu Dogo.
“There have been several victims of Boko Haram sect and other fundamentalists since 2009 when the Boko Haram insurgency gained prominence and at no time did CBN Governor find it worthy to come to the aid of these victims in Borno, Yobe, Bauchi, Gombe, Plateau, Adamawa, Kaduna, and other parts of the country until now that his home town of Kano was also visited by the Boko Haram sect,” the statement said.
“It is gratifying to know that CBN has now added disaster management to its functions, and we are wondering whether the Federal Government will now scrap the National Emergency Management Agency,” the statement said.