The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that President Goodluck Jonathan relieved them of their duties on Friday.
Azazi has been replaced by retired Col. Sambo Dasuki.
Dr Olapade Agoro, a former Chairman of the Conference of Nigerian Political Parties, said that the removal of the two officials was long overdue.
“There was no justification for the men to remain in office in the face of the worsening security situation in the country.
“There are more in the President’s cabinet that should go,’’ he said.
He said that the Boko Haram insurgency would be checked faster when handled by better hands.
Agoro urged Jonathan to remain focused and courageous in tackling the Boko Haram menace.
In his comments, Chief Maxi Okwu, National Coordinator, Patriotic Alliance of Nigeria — an association of opposition political parties – told NAN that the removal of the two men was justified.
Mr Tony Uranta, Secretary-General, United Niger Delta Energy Development and Security Strategy, said that the president had the right to sack any political appointee.
He hoped that the appointment of Dasuki would facilitate the resolution of the Boko Haram problem and other national security issues.
“I join Nigerians in praying that this heralds a new positive era in our nation’s security.
“One thing I know is that Nigeria is destined for greatness under the leadership of Goodluck Ebele Jonathan,” Uranta said.
Pastor Tunde Bakare, the Convener of the Save Nigeria Group, advised that the nation’s security matters should be handled holistically.
“The security situation in the country cannot be handled in bits. It will be like paper-walling a cracked wall,’’ the cleric said.
The President of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, Alhaji Yerima Shettima, told NAN that Azazi and Bello ought to have been given more time.
“More time should have been given, considering the progress and impact made so far in the war against terrorism.
“A new man will require a lot of time to understand the terrain,’’ Yerima said. (NAN)