The Nigerian Force Headquarters has said it will conclude, within two weeks, the ongoing investigations into the $620,000 bribery scandal involving the former chairman, House Commitee on Fuel Subsidy Probe, Farouk Lawan, and Zenon Oil and Gas Chairman, Femi Otedola.
Deputy Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, told Punch in Abuja on Thursday that the Special Task Force handling the matter was close to concluding its two-month long investigations.
Though he declined to give a definite date when the STF would wrap up its probe, Mba gave assurances that the team had been connecting the missing links in the bribery scandal and would soon present its final report to the Inspector-General of Police and the Attorney-General of the Federation for further action.
He said, “The police were not under any pressure to drop the case as people have been insinuating. The STF is close to completing its investigations and in a couple of weeks, say two to three weeks, the team would conclude investigations.”
Asked if the police had received from the State Security Service the video of the purported sting operation it carried out against Lawan and Boniface Emenalo, Mba said the police had all they needed on the case.
It will be recalled that Lawan, during the investigation, had denied receiving the bribe from Otedola to alter the report, saying he collected the $500,000 as evidence that Otedola was trying to pressurise him to remove his company from the list of companies that bought foreign exchange from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) without importing fuel.
However, all efforts to retrieve the money from him have failed as he remains adamant that he gave the money and an accompanying letter to the Chairman, House Committee on Narcotic Drugs and Financial Crimes, Hon. Adams Jagaba.