Reverend Dr. David Asante Dartey, member of the Consultative Assembly that drafted the 1992 constitution and the longest serving General Secretary of the Christian Council of Ghana (1988-98) has died.
He was also the founding Principal of the Wisconsin University, Ghana.
Below is his full profile
Name: Rev. Dr. David Asante Dartey
Data of Birth: 30th May, 1943
Place of Birth: Mamfe, Akwapim
Spouse: Gladys Dartey (Mrs.)
No. of Children: Four(4) and Three(3) Grandchildren
Postal Address: P. O. Box AT1221,
Achimota – Accra
Mobile Phone: +233 (24) 436-2747 / +233 (20) 436-2747
Email: [email protected]
Academic and Professional Qualifications
2000 – 2003 PhD in Educational Administration, Wisconsin International University, Milwaukee, USA
1984 – 1986 Master of Arts (MA) in Pastoral Care, Counselling and Rural Development, South California School of Theology, Claremont, USA
1983 – 1985 Clinical Pastoral Education (C.P.E), Pomona Community Hospital, Pomona, USA
1973 – 1973 Certificate in Marriage and Family Counselling (MFC) Herbert Grey College, England
1964 – 1968 Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Chemistry and Education, University College of Science Education (University of Cape Coast, Ghana)
1959 – 1964 GCE O’Level, Government Secondary Technical School, Takoradi
1956 – 1959 Middle School Certificate, Presbyterian Boys Middle School, Akropong Akwapim
1951 – 1955 Primary Education, Presbyterian Primary School, Akropong Akwapim.
Other Professional Training and Certification Programmes
• The Christian Churches and Africa’s Democratization(University of Leeds, U.K)1993
• Personnel Management and Human Resource Development (M.D.P.I – Accra) February,1977
• Economic Commission of Africa – Training of Trainers in Programme Designed to Improve the Quality of Rural Life, Axim – Ghana – May,1975
• Management of Population Programmes (F.P.I.A – Nairobi, Kenya) July, 1973
• Family Counselling Course – Committee on Christian Marriage and Family Life (Christian Council of Ghana, Kumasi – Ghana) August,1972
• Professional Training Course in Marriage Counselling (British Marriage Guidance Council, England) 1974
• International Missionary Training Programme, Birmingham University, UK – 1974
• World Council of Churches Assembly in Vancouver, Canada(1983), Canberra, Australia(1991) and Harare, Zimbabwe (1998)
• The Christian Churches and Africa Democratization, (University of Leeds, U.K) 1993
• The Congress of the Association of Pastoral Care for Social Services – San Francisco, USA, 1986, Melbourne, Australia,1987 and Assisi, Italy, 1989
• Family Education Meeting, Oaxtepec, Mexico, 1980
• Family Counselling in Africa, Freetown, Sierra Leone, 1979
• Consultation on Family Life Education in Alexandria, Egypt, 1979
• World Mission in Africa Consultation, London, UK, 1974
• Conference on Adolescent Fertility in Washington DC, USA, 1974
• World Population Tribune in Bucharest, Romania, 1974
• Consultation on the Challenges of Family Life Education in Africa, Yaoundé, Cameroon, 1972
Employment History – The Presbyterian Church of Ghana
January 18th, 1987 – Commissioned at the Christ Presbyterian Church, Akropong Akwapim.
June 18th, 1989 – Ordained at the Presbyterian Church of Resurrection, Accra
1987 (February – August) – Pastor in Charge, Dansoman Emmanuel Presbyterian Church
1987 – 1990 – Pastor- In Charge, Darkuman and North Darkuman Presbyterian Churches,
1999 – 2001 – Pastor- In Charge, Dzorwulu, East Legon, Awoshie and Grace Presbyterian Churches, Kaneshie District,
2006 (Sept 1st – Oct 30th) – Pastor- In Charge, Victory Congregation Laterbiokorshie,
2006 (Nov 1st) – Date – Pastor- In Charge, Saviour and Akatsi Abor congregations, Madina District
2008, 2009, and 2010 – Lecturer at the Presbyterian Church of Ghana – May School of Church Management
2008, 2009 and 2010 – Resource Person at the Post Graduate School of the Akrofi Christallar Institute, Akropong-Akwapim
Employment History Outside the Church
• 1999 – 2006 – Chairman of the Board of Director of Graphic Packaging (A subsidiary company of Graphic Group of Companies, Ghana)
• 1999 – 2006 – Member of the Board of Directors of the Graphic Group of Companies
• 2002 – 2005 – Principal of the Wisconsin International University College, Ghana
• 1990 – 1998 – General Secretary of the Christian Council of Ghana(C.C.G),
• 1989 – 1990 – Acting General Secretary, Christian Council of Ghana(C.C.G)
• 1982 – 1984 – Acting General Secretary, Christian Council of Ghana (C.C.G)
• 1972 – 1989 – Executive Secretary of the Committee On Christian Marriage and Family Life (CCMFL) of the Christian Council of Ghana
• 1968 – 1971 – Chemistry and Mathematics Tutor, Suhum Secondary Technical School
Other Professional Engagements
• Member of the Chartered Institute of Administrators and Management Consultants, Ghana (CIAMCG)
• African Centre for Leadership and Human Resource Development (Head of Counselling programme)
• Member of the International Council on Pastoral Care and Counselling
Selection of Achievements over the years
• Led the Christian Council of Ghana to vigorously purse an Evaluation and Restructuring process for effective participation and coordination of the churches’ ecumenical aspirations.
• The conceptualisation and emergence of the Ghana Ecumenical Church Loan Fund (G.E.C.L.O.F) of the Christian Council of Ghana to give loans to Church projects
• In 1991, when the P.N.D.C Military Government finally obliged to the call by Ghanaians for democratic governance, Rev Dr. Dartey was called to join hands with other in the Consultative Assembly as the representative of the Christian Council of Ghana churches to draft the 1992 constitution of the Fourth Republic of Ghana.
• Immense contributions leading to the Repeal of P.N.D.C Law 221, which sought to weaken the Church of Jesus to satisfy some political aspiration.
• Was very vocal during the days of the revolution due to his Commitment to human rights promotion
• The present existence of the Local Council of Churches was deliberately promoted during his tenure of office as the General Secretary of the Christian Council of Ghana.
• Initiated and supervised the building of the new office complex which now houses the Christian Council Secretariat as well as the building of the Female Hostel at the Trinity College.
• His sense of initiative, drive, and ability to inspire action kept the Catholic Bishops Conference and the Christian Council of Ghana together in constant reflection on the life and work of the church in Ghana.
• Actively participated in three World Council of Churches Assembly in Vancouver, Canada(1983), Canberra, Australia(1991) and Harare, Zimbabwe (1998) as representative of the Christian Council of Ghana
• Also served as an advisor to the office of the General Secretary of the World Council of Churches between 1990 and 1998 and actively participated in annual meetings of the Central Committee of the World Council of the Churches (W.C.C) each year.
• Led the Christian Council of Ghana and other religious bodies to team up with civil organization to observe the electoral process in several constituencies of Ghana during the 1992 and 1996 Presidential and Parliamentary Elections
• Instrumental in the establishment of the Fellowship of Christian Council and Churches in West Africa (FECCIWA) from 1995 to 1997 and became the first General Secretary.
• Managed the setup and establishment of the Wisconsin International University College, Ghana to get to its present status of accreditation and operation.
• Was the First Secretary of the Ghana Inter-Universities Christian Fellowship and the National President of the Presbyterian Students Union 1966-1967
Selection of Books, Research Publications and Papers Presented
• Church – Government Relations Under Unconstitutional Rule In Ghana (A presentation to the National Reconciliation Committee), 2004
• Glimpses of Ideas And Vision, An Ecumenical Perspective, published by the publication unit of Graphic Packaging Ltd. 2004
• The Role of Government and Church Development Corporation, E.Z.E Germany, June 1994.
• Religion and Politics –Grassroots participation, New Year School, Legon, December 1991.
• How To Make Your Marriage Work, published by Asempa Publishers, 1990.
• A Big Offer, published by the Committee on Christian Marriage and Family Life of the Christian Council of Ghana, 1974.
• Hints For A Happy Marriage, published by Asempa Publishers, 1981-1985
• Family Counselling, published by Asempa Publishers, 1981.
• Edited the annual Christian Home Week Booklet for publication each year from 1972 – 1980.
• Marriage And Family In Africa – published by the office of Family Education of the World Council of Churches in 1980 as part of its report on the Alexandria Meeting
• The Church Unity and Church Mission, National Holy Spirit Conference, Legon, September 1994.
• The Church in Glory, National Holy Spirit conference, Legon, September 1992.
• The Church and Cultural Revolution, National Holy Spirit Conference, Legon, September 1990.
• Address to the Annual General Assembly Meeting, F.O.C.C.E.S.A, South Africa, May 1984.
• Moving Christ’s Church into the 21st century, MV Anastasis (Mercy Ships) – National Renewal Conference, 1995.
• International Award by the Cambridge University, England for an outstanding contribution to Pastoral Care, Counselling, Conflict Resolution and Ecumenical Relations in Africa, 1998.
• Award of a medal in recognition of the tremendous achievements and contribution to the life and work of the Church And Community – American Biographical Institute And The British Biographical Institute, 1997)
• International Academic of the year, 2004, by the International Biographical Center, for the role in setting up the Wisconsin International University College in Ghana
• An award in Recognition of a Faithful and Dedicated Service to the Christian Council of Ghana on the occasion of the Council’s 80th Anniversary On the 1st of November 2009.
• An award from the Wisconsin International University College, Ghana during the college’s 10th Anniversary Celebration in October 2009. One of the halls of the College has been named “David Dartey Hall”
• Pastoral Care and Counselling
• Rural Agriculture and Farming
• Reading and writing
From: Ghana l Myjoyonline.com