Another Senior Boko Haram Commander Killed – JTF

Lt. Col. Sagir Musa

Lt. Col. Sagir Musa

The Joint Task Force (JTF) on Sunday said they killed a senior Boko Haram commander Abdulkareem Ibrahim, one of several who had a bounty placed on his head last week – of 25 million naira ($158,900) in his case.

According to spokesperson of the JTF, Lt.Col Sagir Musa, “The JTF with members of the Department of State Security Service and the Police Dog Section, in a combined operations on Sunday, launched a special raid operation on Damboa– Biu Road.

“The operation was to capture one of the major terrorist Commander, Abdulkareem Ibrahim, top on its wanted list.

“During the operations and in the ensuring fire fight, Ibrahim and two of his sub commanders were killed and an AK47 rifle with other arms and ammunition were recovered,’’ Musa said.

“He is one of the top commanders recently declared in the bounty list released by the JTF to members of the public.

“The JTF will continue to appreciate all information that will lead to more arrest of the sect commanders declared in the bounty as well as other information that will help the security agents.”

It would be recalled that JTF recently offered various cash rewards for information leading to the capture of the leaders of the violent extremist group.

The task force placed a reward of N50m on Shekau and N25m each on four of the men, which it described as members of the ‘Shurra Committee’, an inner circle within the sect that is responsible for its major decisions.

Meanwhile, this is coming after suspected Boko Haram members went on the rampage between Saturday night and Sunday morning in a village called Chibok, in a remote part of northeastern Borno state, killing 10 Christians with guns and machetes and burning down their houses, witnesses said on Sunday.

“Suspected Boko Haram came at night and set people’s houses on fire before killing their victims,” said Nuhu Clark, a former councillor of the village who escaped the attack. He said he counted 10 bodies afterwards.

A police spokesman said they were aware of the incident but were still trying to confirm casualties.

Leave a Reply