An eyewitness told Saharareporters that the fire, which broke out about 5.30pm was caused by a cooking gas equipment while the son of the landlord said the fire was triggered by an electrical spark in the building.
Two fire service squads from Isolo and Agege area of Lagos came to fight the fire, but they could not immediately put out the fire until the entire top flats were gutted. The lower floor used as commercial shops did not get burnt by the fire.
The house is reportedly one of the numerous buildings owned by Alhaji Fola Agoro, the man the area was named after.
No fatalities reported so far, but one neighbor who was helping bring water to put out fire was injured and is currently being treated for smoke inhalation.
This is the second major fire in the Lagos metropilitan are on boxing day. Earlier 40 people were injured as a fireworks warehouse caught fire triggering several explosions that razed eight houses in the Jankara area of Lagos
This is coming after a massive explosion ripped through a warehouse full of fireworks earlier today (Wednesday, 26th) in Lagos, sparking a fire that threatened surrounding city blocks and sending a plume of thick smoke high into the sky. At least one person died and about 40 others were wounded, emergency officials said. Read the full story HERE.
The cause of the fire is not yet known.