The Joint Task Force, JTF, “Operation Restore Order,” on Sunday said it has arrested one Mohammed Zangina, a high profile Boko Haram Commander and Shura Committee member who reportedly co-ordinated the bombings of Thisday and The Sun newspapers last year at the Government Reserved Area, GRA, Maiduguri after a reward of some N25 million ($160,000) had recently been offered for his capture.
This is coming barely 24 hours when a top suspected Boko Haram terrorist was arrested in Abuja at a former National Assembly Lawmaker.
According to a statement by the JTF spokesman, Lt Col. Sagir Musa, “He was in Maiduguri to plan several deadly attacks being planned against civilians and security personnel any moment from today,” the military statement said of the suspect.
Listing various Nigerian cities, it said he was “coordinator of most of the suicide attacks and bombings in Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, Jos and Potiskum.”
The statement did not say if any of the reward money had been paid out. Nigeria’s military offered rewards for a list of suspects in November.
Sagir further added that Zangina was a key member of the Shura Committee of the Boko Haram who was among those declared wanted with a bounty of N25 million placed on him by the JTF on November 23, 2012.
Sagir added that he survived several security manhunts on his hideouts in Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, Jos and Potiskum town of Damaturu, the Yobe State capital which has remained centre of attacks and killings. The spokesman said Zangina’s arrest was effected by JTF troops following a special operation conducted in GRA, Maiduguri.