Goal.com have released their annual rich list, with a familiar name still at the top.
David Beckham topped the list of the top 50 richest players in the world with a personal fortune of £175m.
The former England captain, who recently signed for Paris Saint-Germain and is donating his salary to a local children’s charity, is followed by Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, who is rated as the world’s highest paid footballer, earning an estimated £100,000 a day.
The Goal Rich List 2013 puts the combined wealth of the top 50 players in the world at over £1.7bn, which is greater than the GDP of Liberia.
The Top 40 earners are:
1. David Beckham – £175m
2. Lionel Messi – £115.5m
3. Cristiano Ronaldo – £112m
4. Kaka – £66.5m
5. Ronaldinho – £63m
6. Samuel Eto’o – £52m
7. Wayne Rooney – £50m
8. Zlatan Ibrahimovic – £47m
9. Rivaldo – £45.5m
10. Rio Ferdinand – £42m
11. Thierry Henry (New York Red Bulls) – £41m
12. Michael Owen (Stoke City) – £40.5m
13. Raul (Al Sadd) – £38m
14. David Villa (Barcelona) – £37m
15. Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy) – £35.5m
16. Ryan Giggs (Manchester United) – £34.5m
17. Frank Lampard (Chelsea) – £33m
18. Robbie Fowler (Unattached) – £32.5m
19. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) – £32m
20. Robinho (AC Milan) – £31m
21. Iker Casillas (Real Madrid) – £30m
22. Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich) – £29m
23. John Terry (Chelsea) – £27.5m
24. Didier Drogba (Galatasaray) – £25m
25. Fernando Torres (Chelsea) – £25m
26. Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray) – £22m
27. Nicolas Anelka (Juventus – loan) – £21.5m
28. Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC) – £21m
29. Miroslav Klose (Lazio) – £20.5m
30. Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich) – £20.5m
31. Francesco Totti (Roma) – £20.5m
32. Petr Cech (Chelsea) – £20m
33. Neymar (Santos) – £20m
34. Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich) – £20m
35. Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich) – £20m
36. Joe Cole (West Ham United) – £19.5m
37. Andrea Pirlo (Juventus) – £19.5m
38. Paul Scholes (Manchester United) – £19m
39. Damien Duff (Fulham) – £18.5m
40. Park Ji-Sung (QPR) – £18m
See more: Goal.com
Goal compiled the list using identifiable wealth, including annual accounts submitted to Companies House, properties, salary details, bonuses and other business interests.
It estimates that Beckham earned £15m from his off-field commercial interests in 2012, which proved to be his most lucrative year yet.
The latest annual accounts submitted to Companies House for Beckham Ventures Ltd for the year up to December 31, 2011, reported assets worth £4.7m.
The company is shared between Beckham, his wife Victoria, 38, who is now a successful fashion designer, and their manager Simon Fuller.
Another company is Beckham Brand Ltd. As of December 31, 2011, the company reported assets worth £5.4m.
Amar Singh, the managing editor of Goal Europe said: “The world’s top footballers can no longer be regarded as just athletes – they are major international brands and David Beckham is the biggest brand of them all.
“Our findings show just how much wealth footballers are able to accumulate by leveraging this.
“Far from the bling-loving, sports car-collecting stereotypes, the vast majority of footballers on the Goal Rich List are putting their money to positive use by setting up charitable foundations or funding community initiatives.”
Alex Miller, the editor of the Goal Rich List said: “The wealth David Beckham has accumulated and continues to earn is testament to his continued appeal.
“While Beckham’s retirement from the game edges ever closer, his phenomenal earning power shows no sign of slowing down.”