A private television station, Popular Broadcasting Service (PBS), in Osisioma, near Aba, Abia was gutted by fire, destroying property worth over N100 million.
Armand Odogwu, the Managing Director of the establishment, blamed the incident on power surge from the public electricity grid. He said at the station’s premises that the incident started around 1.10 am.
“I live in one of the self-contained apartments in the compound. At exactly 1.10am, there was a surge and the electric bulb in my room went red, almost to a bursting point.
“I heard a crack outside. I don’t know if I will call it thunder lightning. At this point I rushed out with the generating set attendant and there was observable difference in what was happening.
“At that point in time we were using the 10 KVA generating set and there was no light round the compound. We all entered our rooms and some minutes later I perceived some fumes from burnt plastic. When I came out the second time, the entire roof was smouldering.”
Odogwu said that when he raised alarm, the staff and neighbours joined them in the fire- fighting exercise.
He said that there was nothing to salvage as at that time when the fire service team arrived around 2 a.m. as everything in the live studio, control room, music recording studio, and the disc duplicating section, among others, had been lost.